Dutch Expert Committee on Occupational Safety (DECOS)
The Dutch Expert Committee on Occupational Safety (DECOS) focuses on health risks. Its work includes assessing substances to which employees are exposed at their respective workplaces in terms of the substances’ toxic properties and effects on health. Such work can lead to a recommended value for professional exposure based on health expertise or a proposal for the assigning of hazard categories to carcinogenic substances or substances that are toxic to reproduction.
The Committee has two subcommittees: the Subcommittee on the Classification of Carcinogenic Substances and the Subcommittee on the Classification of Substances Toxic to Reproduction.
This activity is a permanent part of the Healthy working conditions focus area.
The membership of the committee may differ from one advice to another. Because a permanent committee addresses more than one topic, potential conflicts of interests of committee members will be re-evaluated at the start of each advisory process. The composition of the Committee by advice can be found on the last page of the advisory report.
- Prof. F.G.M. Russel, Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Radboud University, Nijmegen, chairperson
- Dr. H. Bouwmeester, Associate Professor of Toxicology, Wageningen University and Research Centre
- R. Houba, Occupational Hygienist, The Netherlands Expertise Centre for Occupational Respiratory Disorders, Utrecht
- Prof. I. Kreis, Epidemiologist, Royal College of Surgeans of England
- E.D. Kroese, Toxicologist, TNO, Zeist
- C.F. Kuper, Toxicologic Pathologist, Utrecht
- Prof. H. van Loveren, Professor of Immunotoxicology, Maastricht University, Maastricht
- Dr. M. Rooseboom, Senior Toxicologist, Shell Health, Shell International B.V.
- G.B.G.J. van Rooy, MD PhD, Occupational medicine specialist, Arbo Unie Expert Centre for Chemical Risk Management and Radboudumc Outpatient Clinic for Occupational Clinical Toxicology, Nijmegen
- L.A. Smit, Epidemiologist, Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Utrecht
- Prof. R.C.H. Vermeulen, Professor of Environmental Epidemiology and Exposome Science, Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences and Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, Utrecht
- H. Stigter, Inspectorate SZW, Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment, Utrecht
- D. Theodori, Social and Economic Council, The Hague
- J.M. Rijnkels, Health Council, The Hague
- B.E. Smink, Health Council, The Hague
- S.R. Vink, Health Council, The Hague