Committee on Fitness to drive
At the request of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, the Health Council periodically issues advisory reports on developments in the field of medical standards for fitness to drive.
Thus, reports have appeared on fitness to drive of individuals with an autism spectrum disorder, those with ADHD, and patients suffering from epilepsy. In each case, there are conflicting demands which need to be addressed explicitly or implicitly, between opportunities for individuals to participate in society through increased mobility on the one hand, and society's need for safety on the other. What scientific evidence is there for the various regulations and the criteria for medical fitness applied therein? And to what extent is closer coordination between these regulations desirable or possible? Not only regulation at the national level is involved, but also European Union directives and regulations need to be taken into account. When necessary, an advice may also lead to an amendment of the pertinent legal regulation (Regeling Eisen Geschiktheid 2000 (Regulation Criteria Fitness to Drive 2000)).
This activity is a permanent part of Optimum healthcare focus area.
The membership of the committee may differ from one advice to another. Because a permanent committee addresses more than one topic, potential conflicts of interests of committee members will be re-evaluated at the start of each advisory process. The composition of the Committee by advice can be found on the last page of the advisory report.
- Prof. R.C. van der Mast, Professor of Psychiatry, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, chairperson
- Dr. E. Beers MD, Clinical Pharmacologist and Senior Researcher, Amsterdam UMC
- Dr. G.A. Donker, MD, General Practitioner and Epidemiologist, Nivel, Utrecht
- Prof. J. Groeneweg, Professor ‘safety Assurance in healthcare’ TU Delft
- Prof. R.H.H. Groenwold, Professor of Clinical Epidemiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden
- Prof. J.B.L. Hoekstra, Emeritus Professor of Internal Medicine, Amsterdam UMC
- Prof. J.E.E. Keunen, Professor of Ophthalmology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre
- Prof. M.J. Schalij, Professor of Cardiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden
- Prof. J. van der Naalt, Neurologist, UMC Groningen
- Prof. Ir. F. Wegman, Professor of Traffic Safety, TU Delft
- M. van Asselt, Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, The Hague
- R.A. Bredewoud, physician, Head of the Medical Department, Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing, Rijswijk
- C.M. Buuron, Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, The Hague
- Dr. K.C. Cheung, KNMP, The Hague
- Dr. S.J.W. Kunst, Health Council, The Hague
- Dr. E. van Rongen, Health Council, The Hague